Friday, December 14, 2007

Miles to go before I sleep

I'm going to be honest. These last 3 days have been rough. The rough days have actually stemmed from a serious lack of sleep. So this all started with my being wildly unproductive all day Wednesday. I had a final on Thursday morning and I had a paper that I needed to finish. I didn't start the paper until 1am. I finished it around 5am. Then I spent 5-8 studying for the test. Needless to say, I was tired. I came back home and slept for an hour. Then I had to get spiffed up in my Army Class A's and go stand in a formation for about an hour over at Boise State for an award ceremony. Off the record, either I'm growing or my clothes are shrinking because that uniform definitely did not fir quite right. I was struggling. Luckily, they provided cake and juice after the ceremony, so it wasn't all that bad.

After a superb dinner at the Dex, including many attempts to make me dance on the table, I went back to the house and slept for another 15 minutes. All day all I could think about was sleep. It was almost a lust. I was practically lusting after sleep. I was entertaining impure thoughts about sleeping. I wanted more sleep. But instead of sleeping, I made gingerbread houses out of graham crackers, if that makes any sense. First, the gingerbread house was hit by shotgun blasts. Then it was hit by napalm. Then God (me) smited the gingerbread house with mighty candy canes from heaven. Andrew was pissed. Alex was indignant. Kyle was dropping candy down my crack. White Christmas (the movie) was playing this whole time. I hear Vermont is nice this time if year.

Sleep was still far off. Next, I went to Sheri's and bought some mozzarella sticks and a chocolate shake. After that, I went and watched I Am Legend for Ryan Cork's bachelor party. The movie was sweet. I reccommend it. I didn't actually get to sleep until 2:30am that night. I had to get up at 5:30 for work this morning. It physically pained me to get out of bed this morning. I was sluggish getting ready this morning. Alex drove me to the bus stop at the Boise State West Campus, and I caught my bus at 6:15. Sadly, I fell asleep on the bus. I slept for about 20 minutes and right passed my stop. I closed my eyes at St. Luke's and when I opened them, we were at Boise State. Weird.

So I got in to work this morning a little late at 7:30. Every passing minute is a struggle to stay awake. Do the math. I've gotten about 4 and a half hours of sleep in the last 3 days. I got a nice grande coffee at Starbucks this morning, but even that didn't wake me up. I've been slapping myself in the face alot this morning to keep myself awake. Mark keeps looking at me funny. Whatev. It's my last day, so no big.

Here is a poem by Robert Frost that is fitting for this occasion:

"Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening"

Whose woods these are I think I know. His house is in the village, though; He will not see me stopping here To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer To stop without a farmhouse near Between the woods and frozen lake The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake To ask if there's some mistake. The only other sound's the sweep Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt, you've slept for 30 straight hours. It's sunday night.

Anonymous said...

girls,
take notice,
men express themselves through the art of poetry. if you want to enjoy the company of men, you better learn to enjoy a poem now and then.